Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Style?

I didn't have as much time today as I did yesterday...Only about 3 hours :(.

But! I think I spent them wisely! I started off studying a portrait photo, but drawing the mouth wasn't working out (as you'll see). So I decided I would test myself, and see how much I could do one my own.

I used the reference as little as I could, and pretty much improvised :p. I dunno if you're supposed to do that...But I thought it was a good idea, and I think it might be the best thing I've painted all year! :o

I included the version with the sketch, and the version without...Since I would like to develop a technique that doesn't have lines in the final product.

Please critique this if you can, as I feel like this is where my skill level is if I spend a fair amount of time on a piece :).





And the reference photo:
Stock 205 by ~Lady-Moriendistock on deviantART


I'll have more time tomorrow :).

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry I haven't been on for so long.. been having a really bad depression bout. I'll be on today, hope you are too .. xP

    Crit on the portrait painting.. I really like the colors you used (especially for neck shadow) However, it has a lot of your usual errors, such as lack of 3d depth and volume. I think you'd improve a lot if you did some studies concentrating on one weakness, that way you do not repeat same mistakes over and over.
    And why did you leave the mouth out? :[ You should think of the parts as well as being a whole. At least try, even if it ends up a 'melted mess' xP
    I do like that you didn't try to copy the photo exactly, instead referencing off it, but you could have taken more from the photo (such as the more subtle values that are hard to fake from imagination) Looking at your overall style and level I would say concentrate on structure foremost, because for me structure is probably the biggest leap I made in my art so far. Hope I helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chris. It's long overdue but I have critiqued your artwork. You can find it over at my blog. http://ashleywalters.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-crits.html

    And I just want to say, keep it up! You have already made improvements since you posted your image. These studies you are doing show that you are the kind of person who is willing to learn from the ground up. That will only help, not hurt you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm basically not the artistic type and to me the sketch seems fine to me. Thank you for you comment on my blog and sharing your thoughts with us Otaku. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete